We had quite a bit of wind and rain throughout the night. A bit of a squall. I had to close all the louvered windows in my room and move stuff away from the outside walls to keep everything dry. The sound of the surf was pleasant, though, eventually lulling me to sleep.
This morning we drove into Savusavu to buy the last of the relief food supplies we need for the churches in this area. We left half of the food at the home of the local pastor to distribute to the families closest to the main church. Then we hired a 4-wheel drive vehicle with driver to enable us to take the rest of the food to the most remote of the highland congregations.
The trip up reminded me of so many other off-road adventures over my years of ministry in various countries. This road was really quite nice compared to some I’ve driven on.
There are 8 families in that church. Like so many, they lost all of their crops and sustained significant damage to their homes. We met the pastor and his wife at the store in town where we were loading up the food. These two do not draw any guaranteed salary from their ministry in their remote location.
This afternoon we will head back to town to buy fuel for the boat that will take us to the fishing villages on two islands where we will distribute the fishing gear I brought with me. If it’s still raining, we’ll most likely have to postpone that trip to another day. If that is so, we will drive to the Dreketi area on the other side of the island. That’s where we will check out our bee projects and plan for our December medical outreach.
Thanks for your prayers. Blessings!